Local residents, especially parents, guardians and school aged children, are reminded to be vigilant regarding inappropriate online behaviour by unknown individuals who aim to obtain nude personal images on social media, through seemingly friendly conversation or outright coercion.
The Bermuda Police Service (BPS) urges parents and guardians to:-
- Familiarise yourself with the applications (apps) downloaded on your school aged child’s/children’s device(s), and scrutinise whether or not they should have access to any of those apps.
- Be mindful that the legal age for most social media applications is 13+.
- Ensure all social media applications used are adequately secured (i.e. Two-Factor Authentication).
- Establish rules with your school aged child/children, such as not allowing others to use their device(s), or have access to their social media account(s).
- Talk to your school aged child/children about the risks involved in communicating with any social media profile operated by a person they do not know.
- Use a social media application’s settings to report and block any social media profile that attempts to engage in inappropriate behaviour or makes threats.
- Make it clear that under no circumstances should a child capture or send nude images of themselves to anyone online.
- Reassure your school aged child/children that they can confide in a trusted adult if anything occurs on social media that makes them feel uncomfortable.
It should be noted that the BPS continues to investigate the recent social media circulation of a number of inappropriate altered images of local residents, including minors.
Anyone with information that may pertain to the ongoing investigation is once again asked to call Acting Detective Inspector 709 Sharnita Tankard or Acting Detective Sergeant 2456 Ashun Wolffe on 247-1739, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
You may also call the non-emergency reporting number 211, the main police number 295-0011 or, share the information with a police officer you know
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful, or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites, or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User comments posted on this website are solely the views and opinions of the comment writer and are not a representation of or reflection of the opinions of TNN or its staff.
TNN reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments.
TNN accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for the comments made by users.