Recently Premier David Burt and the Head of the Public Service, Dr. Derrick Binns recognized the Bermuda Government’s Employee Wellness Committee as November’s recipients of the Public Service Excellence Award (PSEA).
As part of a cross-ministry team, the Wellness Committee’s objective is to promote a culture of wellness among Government employees through initiatives that support healthy lifestyle choices and provide solutions for stress management and work-life balance. This small team of 11 officers were responsible for motivating more than 4,000 public officers to engage in innovative and supportive health and wellness programmes in a variety of dynamic ways. The entire team includes the following:
- Deborah Thomas-Gilkes, Department of Employee of Organisational Development
- Virloy Lewin, Department of Health
- Brigitta Wohlmuth, Department of Communications
- Toni Fox, Department of Employee and Organisational Development
- Natasha Shabdeen, Department of Employee and Organisational Development
- Yosefyah Williams, Department of Health
- Pauleter Stevens, Department of Health
- Cymone Hollis, Department of Health
- Gaynell Weeks, Department of Communications
- Madree Joliffe, Department of Employee and Organisational Development
- Denise Davis, Department of Employee and Organisational Development
Premier Burt said, “Hats off to this committee for their dedication to ensuring that public officers take better care of themselves. While this is an internal initiative, the result has a beneficial effect for the public when officers are healthier, they provide better customer service. And with their continued commitment to progress, I’m confident that this initiative will also help us change the culture of wellness in Bermuda.”
Dr. Binns said, “Our Public Officers are this Government’s greatest asset, and I am grateful to the Wellness Committee for inspiring us all to look at our health from a holistic perspective. Through their thoughtfully coordinated internal wellness programme, the committee has worked hard, not only to promote sleep, fitness, and better lifestyle choices, but also to destigmatize mental health in these difficult times. I applaud their efforts to help us become more mindful and progressive as an organization.”
The PSEA is a programme that recognizes Public Officers who are demonstrating admirable service delivery. Each month an individual or team is selected for their significant accomplishments in the last 60 days.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful, or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites, or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User comments posted on this website are solely the views and opinions of the comment writer and are not a representation of or reflection of the opinions of TNN or its staff.
TNN reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments.
TNN accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for the comments made by users.