In September, the Ministry of Education’s Education Reform Unit (ERU) held a Signature Discovery Days event. The event was an overwhelming success because of the local community and business partner’s support.
LeVar Bassett, ERU Team Leader for Personalized Learning Capability & Learning Partnerships said, “Signature Discovery Days was an extraordinary journey of exploration, inspiration, and discovery. The goal was to provide each student with a personalized experience of the broad set of career options within each Signature. Each middle school hosted a rotation of six workshops for an entire day to build upon the research that each and everylearner has made towards learning about Signature Learning Programmes.
Mr. Bassett added, “Our Learning Partners added depth and real-world insight, giving students a firsthand glimpse into the six Signature Learning Programmes (SLPs). As we had hoped, their willingness to share their expertise, experiences, and knowledge left an indelible mark. The event helped guide the students and assisted towards choosing further exploration within a specific Signature Strand.”
The Minister of Education, The Hon. Diallo Rabain, JP, MP said, “We extend our heartfelt appreciation to our current Learning Partners for providing engaging presentations, interactive demonstrations, and informative workshops that provided our students with unique perspectives and a deeper understanding of the diverse opportunities within their reach.
“We are most grateful to the Bermuda Zoological Society (BZS), Bermuda Institute of Ocean Science (BIOS), Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (BUEI), KPMG in Bermuda and the Association of Bermuda International Companies (ABIC) who were a part of the Signature Discovery Days.
“These five organizations were amongst the first seven to formally commit their support and signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to that effect. Signature Discovery Days is one of the contributions that these organizations support each year. We are confident that the seeds of inspiration planted during Signature Discovery Days will continue to flourish in the hearts and minds of our students. Our Learning Partners involvement has not only contributed to their career development but has also instilled in them a sense of enthusiasm and curiosity for the professional world.”
Mr. Bassett added: “During the Signature Discovery Day in September Signature Workshops were led by a significant number of community partners, they were:
- The STEM Signature Workshops were facilitated by CONNECTECH, the Ministry of Public Works, BUEI, and BIOS.
- The Trades & Professions Signature Workshops were facilitated by the Institute of Bermuda Architects (IBA), ReGen (a subsidiary of the Liberty Group Ltd.), the Bermuda Hospital Board (BHB), Clean Slate Painting & General Maintenance and Tropical Property Group.
- The Health & Social Care Signature Workshops were facilitated by the Bermuda College’s APACE Department, the Bermuda Football Association (BFA), Dignity House, and the Oral Health Department.
- The Finance & Insurance Services Signature saw the likes of participants from Conyers Dill & Pearman, the Ministry of Public Works, BritRe, Artex Risk Solutions, ABIC and KPMG.
- The Hospitality & Tourism Signature facilitators were provided by the Bermuda Tourism Authority (BTA), the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, and representatives from the Butterfield Group Championship.
- The Education Services Signature was supported by members of the Education Reform Unit who also contributed their expertise to this event.
Mr. Bassett concluded, “All facilitators provided engaging presentations, interactive demonstrations, and informative workshops that would allow M3 learners a unique and valuable perspective of each of the Signatures within the Bermuda Public School System.
“Currently, recruitment of Learning Partners is still underway to support the new Signature Learning Programmes and Parish Primary schools. If your organization is interested in becoming a Learning Partner please visit www.learningfirstbda.com/for-partners for more information or call (+1) 441-278-3375.”
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful, or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites, or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User comments posted on this website are solely the views and opinions of the comment writer and are not a representation of or reflection of the opinions of TNN or its staff.
TNN reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments.
TNN accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for the comments made by users.