Bermuda Skyport Corporation Limited (Skyport), developer and operator of L.F. Wade International Airport under a thirty-year agreement with the Government of Bermuda, is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI) from qualified companies to develop, operate and maintain a newly renovated Cargo Terminal at the airport.
The newly renovated, 18,000 square foot Cargo Terminal at Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport will house under one roof: facilities for Customs, offices for administration, cargo agents and freight forwarders, import and export cargo processing and storage space, Xray, Department of Health (DOH) and Department of Environment & Natural Resources (DENR) screening, refrigeration for pharmaceuticals and perishables, and accommodation for live animals, high-value items, dangerous goods, and human remains.
The airport’s air cargo throughput for the period 2015 to 2022 averaged four million pounds per year, with import cargo accounting for more than 90% of movements (given Bermuda’s status as an island territory with limited production capacity for local consumption or exportation). Currently, seven airlines provide cargo airlift at the airport (Cargo Jet, British Airways, Delta, American, United, JetBlue, and Air Canada) with Cargo Jet and British Airways accounting for 85% of total air cargo movements.
Scope of Cargo Terminal Renovation Work
Renovation of the Cargo Terminal is scheduled for completion by the fall of 2023. Works include:
• Full refurbishment of the roof
• Refit of Customs’ operational spaces
• Construction of primary demising walls and one-story roofed structure over future tenant fit-out spaces
• Base building services to Refrigerated Storage space
• Base building underground services for DENR and DOH inspection rooms (i.e., drainage)
• Underground services for washrooms and locker rooms
• Fit out of the DENR and DOH inspection rooms
• Fit out of the Refrigerated Storage space
The cost of the renovation work to be completed by Skyport is estimated at approximately $4.5 million. The future operator will be expected to provide additional investment in fit-out, furnishings, and equipment for completion of the operational spaces, offices, racking, two-temperature refrigeration, forklifts, etc.
Entities responding to this EOI must be able to demonstrate their ability to bring all necessary resources and expertise to successfully deliver on the future development, operation, and maintenance of the renovated Air Cargo Terminal.
The Respondent’s team can be comprised of one or more firms that may be a joint venture or other legal entity formed (or that will be formed) and able to conduct business in Bermuda.
EOI Submission Requirements
Each respondent’s submittal should include:
1. An affirmative expression of interest in the development, operation, and maintenance of air cargo facilities at Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport.
2. A description of the responding firm or entity, including highlights of past experience and projects, and a list of key principals.
3. Confirmation of the respondent’s demonstrated familiarity with airport requirements and air cargo logistics, including previous experience with the development, operation, maintenance, or management of air cargo facilities.
4. Affirmation of sufficient financial resources and capacity to invest and perform future development opportunities.
RFP Meetings with Proponents
Skyport may host RFP meetings with prequalified Proponents prior to or at the commencement of the RFP process.
Scheduled Timeline for EOI and RFP Process: June 1 to September 1, 2023
EOI Release June 1
EOI Submission Deadline June 14
RFP Release June 20
RFP Submission Deadline July 20
Contract Negotiation July 31 to August 25
Term of Concession Ten (10) years, renewable for successive five (5) year periods
Interested parties should contact Skyport at the address below to confirm their interest and qualifications to participate in the forthcoming RFP process:
Bermuda Skyport Corporation Ltd.
L. F. Wade International Airport
2 Kindley Field Road,
St. Georges, DD 03 Bermuda
Attn: Ken Hassard,
Deadline: Proponents must register their interest by 5 pm, 14 June 2023.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful, or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites, or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User comments posted on this website are solely the views and opinions of the comment writer and are not a representation of or reflection of the opinions of TNN or its staff.
TNN reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments.
TNN accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for the comments made by users.