The Minister of Youth, Culture and Sport, Dr. Ernest Peets JP, is encouraging the community to attend this weekend’s 2022 Bermuda Gombey Festival Showcase, from October 7 – 9, 2022.
For the last two years the event has been curtailed due to the pandemic. But this year, it’s fully back and in person with an exciting line up of Gombey performances and entertainment.
It all kicks off this Friday at the Botanical Gardens’ Show Ring.
Today, Minister Peets said, “The history of the Gombey is reflective of Bermuda’s cultural heritage and our Gombeys are Bermuda’s most recognisable and iconic cultural symbol. After a two-year hiatus, we are delighted to welcome back the Gombey Festival which has grown considerably over the years. And this weekend, we hope to see as many people as possible supporting these events.”
The signature Bermuda International Gombey Festival Showcase has the following troupes scheduled to perform.
- Place’s New Generation Gombeys – celebrating 65 years this year
- Gombey Warriors- about to celebrate 11 years
- H&H Gombeys- celebrating 28 years
- Gombey Evolution Troupe- celebrating 7 years
- Warwick Gombeys- about to celebrate 23 years
The full schedule is as follows:
Friday, October 7, 2022
Not a Generic Gombey: Art, Consumption, and Intellectual Property Short Film Release:
Tune in for the premiere of a short film, created by the Department of Culture with videographer Qian Dickinson, discussing intellectual property issues around Gombeys as they discuss what it is like to be both art and artists, beloved by the community and unable to protect the culture that they preserve from commercialism.
Saturday, October 8, 2022
Bermuda International Gombey Festival Showcase
Location: Bermuda Botanical Gardens, Main Show Ring
Time: 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM | Doors open at 4:30 PM
Details: Bring a blanket or chair and head to the hillside or bleachers to watch five of Bermuda’s Gombey troupes display their passion and artistry in the annual Gombey Festival Showcase, with special guests. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
Rain Date: Sunday, October 9, 2022
Sunday, October 9, 2022
Masks Off: Gombey Family Fun Day Sponsored by The Department of Culture
Location: Xtreme Sports FunZone, St. David’s
Time: 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Details: Wind down the Gombey Festival Weekend with an afternoon of fun for the whole family at FunZone. With music vibes from father-son duo DJ Mico and DJ Hershey, enjoy all games for free. This is an opportunity for the Gombey community to connect behind-the-mask and for the broader community to join in with fun for the whole family.
Other events include a cultural film screening, a family fun day and performances by some of Bermuda’s best and brightest local talent, including:
- Mr. Fotogenik – with hits including “Bumpin’” and “Comin’ In Hot!”
- Rated E! Dance Crew – a Bermuda Day favourite, who recently performed in the Premier’s Concert 2022: Celebrating Bermuda’s National Heroes
- The Virtual Experience Programme – led by Taye-Zino Trott of Vision Dance School
- She’s Company – led by Rosheena Pamplin, they will be leading the crowd through some of the hottest TikTok dance trends
- Bermuda Donquili- West African drummers and dancers, their name means “called to dance”
- Fire Wayne- an HnH Gombey in his own right, but the singer of the smash hit, “Full Stop”; and
- Event host – Ed Christopher
All the events are free to the public.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful, or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites, or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User comments posted on this website are solely the views and opinions of the comment writer and are not a representation of or reflection of the opinions of TNN or its staff.
TNN reserves the right to remove, edit or censor any comments.
TNN accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for the comments made by users.